Kathleen G. Williamson, J.D., LL.M., Ph.D. - Attorney
Arizona State Bar - 1989
New York State Bar - 1990
Pasqua Yaqui Tribal Court – 1993
United States District Court: Arizona – 1993
United States Court Of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit – 2003
-LL.M., Intellectual Property (including Copyrights, Trademarks, International Copyright Law, Music Law, Media Law, Art Law, Arbitration, Corporations) Cardozo School of Law, NYC 2006.
-Visiting Scholar, Department of Anthropology, University of Arizona, 2001 to date.
-Ph.D., Cultural Anthropology, University of Arizona, 2000 (cultures of concentration: Irish and Irish American, Yaqui, US juvenile court systems. Areas of interest: legal systems, critical legal theory, medicalization, conflict dispute resolution, comparative jurisprudence, migration, feminism, gender, oral history, identity politics).
-J.D., cum laude, University of Arizona 1988 (Assistant Editor: Arizona Journal of Comparative and International Law. Clerked for two years for Professor Emeritis Norman Williams, Land Use Planning Law).
-B.A., magna cum laude, Major: Humanities (Comparative Arts and Religions); Minor 1) Studio Fine Arts; Minor 2) Music Performance. Northern Arizona University 1985
Private Practice 1993 to Present
Practicing Attorney since 1993
Partner - Williamson & Young, PC (since 2001)
* Intellectual Property Law: Copyrights, Trademarks, Arts & Entertainment Law, Media Law, Arts & Entertainment Law, Internet Law. Counsel for artists and producers in diverse media.
* Criminal Defense: Litigation and Appeals of criminal cases federal, state and lower courts. An appointee on the Criminal Justice Act Panel for federal trials and appeals since 1993.
* Reappointed as Justice of the Peace Pro Tempore, Pima County, Arizona - 2012 to date
- Facilitation, Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Trial experience: lead counsel for federal and state criminal litigation and appeals since 1989. Criminal Justice Act Panel for Federal Trials and Appeals since 1993
- Town Attorney for the Town of Jerome, Arizona 4/2009 - 5/2011
- Former Judge Pro Tempore for State, County and Municpal Courts in Tucson, Arizona 1993-2000. Presided over criminal and civil cases.
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. 1994 - 1995. Feminist Jurisprudence.
- Criminal Trial Prosecutor, Pima County Attorney's Office, Tucson, AZ 1989 - 1993 Criminal Division.
- Law Clerk, Pima County Attorney's Office, Tucson AZ - Civil Division. Legal research and drafting of memos and pleadings pertaining to Land Use Planning and Zoning, and Tort Liability. 1989-1990
- American Bar Association / IP Section
- New York State Bar Association / Arts and Entertainment Law Section; Intellectual Property Section
- New York Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
- State Bar of Arizona Intellectual Property Law Section.
- Arizona League of Cities and Towns ACAA
_ International Municipal Lawyers Assoc.
.OTHER RELEVANT EDUCATION
-Basic and Advanced Facilitation Training, January and February 2000.
-Mediation Training and Certification, February 1995 and 2000.
Member of the Tucson- Davis Monthan Military Relations Committee
Commissioner, appointed by Tucson City Council Hon. Karin Ulich, for Tucson-Pima County Women's Commission (www.pimatucsonwomen.org)
SKILLS, LANGUAGES, AND OTHER INTERESTS
Music composition, songwriting, performance and visual arts, independent recording, photography and films. (See www.kathleenwilliamson.com). Yoga & Meditation (Vipassana as taught by S.N. Goenka). Spanish Language.